View Single Post
Old 06-22-2017, 03:37 AM   #283 (permalink)
ChopStix
Primer is still paint!

85 Chevy Pickup C10 - '85 Chevy C10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopStix View Post
I hear you on the lack of accomplishment today. But here's the thing. I found a cheap local '60 split window panel bus that I've been keeping an eye on. But even its cheap price is a bit more than I have in cash. I'm half tempted to buy it instead of a beetle delivery since its got real value. Where as a beetle delivery (to use a Samba term) b*stard won't have any real value by comparison. (giggles to himself...)

I like the beetle a bit more. But the van is a different kind of cool. Its lowered with a 1600DP with twin carbs, 009 dist, etc. Its rougher condition, but runs and drives. Also some meathead put a couple house windows in the side of it. However I can fix that abomination and swap it back to stock. But ultimately its cool enough to make it very considerable, if you can visualize the dilemma.
In reply to myself, I went and looked at the bus real close on Monday. I climbed all over it (literally). I also checked out a '76 standard beetle, a '74 standard beetle, and a couple convertible beetles just because they were there. I was really interested in the '77 which is actually a '76 (typo on the listing) until I crawled around and under it. It has a lot of rust in places that I don't want to deal with. For example there's an arm length rust hole through the inside of the engine compartment. Yes I could weld it closed. But its an example of how bad the normal rust areas were! So I had to pass on its $4k price tag when its a giant rust bucket. So that's all the info that I have on that topic at this time. The search goes on....

Edit: Also I learned exactly how the bus cooling works from the side vents to the engine compartment. This proves to me that my louvered engine compartment idea will actually work!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	295_n.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	22054