View Single Post
Old 06-23-2017, 09:55 AM   #151 (permalink)
cRiPpLe_rOoStEr
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidecar View Post
What you need to be careful of is how it reacts to resin, where its probable that epoxy will show some risks, polyester is more forgiving. I guess silk would come up with some attractive numbers, perhaps hemp too (No pun intended).

Reference manila rope for which hemp was widely used during WW2. Hemp cloth is quite widely researched and likely available as a product. I believe silk was investigated for composites in the 90s.
I was actually considering to use sisal, which is quite popular in Northeast Brazil. As far as Manila rope goes, I'm aware it didn't have real hemp fibers on it, being actually made out of a plant from the same genre of banana trees (Musa). BTW banana tree fiber has already been used here in Brazil on at least one prototype car in the '80s, the Manacá, made by alumni of a military academy.

Quote:
Im not really understanding this, since a turbocharger already has its hot side and cold side occupied. Perhaps what you are looking for is an exhaust driven alternator, or do you mean something rather smaller than existing APU?
I was considering something similar to the generator fitted to jet-powered aircraft, coupled to the high-pressure shaft by gears. In a turbocharger, that could be coupled to the shaft at the intermediary section.