View Single Post
Old 06-24-2017, 06:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Battery replacement for personal device

I have a 2014 Edition Samsung Tablet 10.1 (SM-P600). I have had it since it came out in Oct 2013. It is a heavy use item for me. I do not have a phone.

I am refreshing it rather than replacing it because I can upgraded the memory, replace the cracked screen, and install a new battery for $80. And I get to learn stuff.

BUT the battery I bought has a serious problem, unfortunately. It can hold a charge better than the 2013 OEM battery, but it it charges very slowly and the charge monitor has a red "X" over the battery icon the entire time.

It is not the fault of my charger, the connection, an outlet, or the device. I know this because putting the OEM battery back in gets rid of the red "X".

So the problem must be in the battery chemistry or the "pack" assembly. I cleaned the connector using MAP sensor cleaner. No change.

I think I can eliminate the chemistry as the problem. If the chemistry was bad, wouldn't it fail to hold a charge?

So I suspect that somewhere in the battery pack there is a bad connection. Does that sound reasonable? I wonder if I could mend it with a soldering iron. Your thoughts?

Here is a picture of the battery pack (not mine, just an online stock photo):

BTW, don't buy batteries from "Battery Monster" that company's return and warranty turns out to be no better than a con.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	battery picture.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	22081  
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.