View Single Post
Old 07-05-2017, 12:14 PM   #97 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcin_t View Post
Hello guys,...
Thanks guys and waiting for answer

Marcin
Hi. So you're not in the us so I'm not absolutely sure but all d series engines are really really similar. That's true even when the displacement is increased, as it was between the 5th generation the 6th generation and the 7th generation. A variety of small things change however and I don't know if they changed in the same ways in Europe as they do in the united States.

So if you had a us domestic model, would you be looking for since you seem to only want to reduce highway rpm's is the 5th gear from almost any civic besides the ex or the type r. In the 7th gen, the HX and the base civic had very similar 5th years: 0.710 and 0.711. Both of those ar possibly 6% taller than you fifth gear, maybe even taller than that. It's a bit of a job because it means removing the transmission opening the casing and switching out the gear. I've never done this job but I've read from guys have been told directly that a lot of this equipment is interchangeable within the transmissions. Someday I'll experiment myself.

A second way for you to get your freeway rpms down is to enlarge in the overall tire/wheel size combination that you're running. A bigger tire wheel combination will in effect give you taller gearing will bring your rpms down on the freeway and everywhere else. So a minimum 10 percent rpm reduction should be achievable for you.

I hope that helps.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.