View Single Post
Old 07-05-2017, 02:40 PM   #104 (permalink)
vskid3
Master EcoModder

Civic DX (sold) - '97 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 34.15 mpg (US)

GTO (sold) - '04 Pontiac GTO
90 day: 22.62 mpg (US)

Green Brick (sold) - '06 Ford Escape Hybrid
90 day: 31.93 mpg (US)
Congrats on getting it up and running! You're very right about it not being something you can just throw together in an afternoon. Controllers can take a decent amount of heat, but like some airflow, especially with the Texas heat and the power of your bike.

There is an issue with your theoretical 192 mile range (at least at those speeds). The discharge curve for lithium batteries is very flat, so there's not much voltage drop for the first ~80% of discharging. The voltage starts to drop dramatically at that point. The way you're estimating range doesn't take that into account. The best way to estimate the state of charge is using an ah or wh meter and compare that to your battery's total ah or wh.

I never recorded the voltage at the beginning of a ride, so I'll have to go off the voltage after riding to work and then hours later after riding home. There was a voltage decrease of 0.34v and I used 2.252Ah according to my meter over a ~4.6 mile ride with at tailwind. Going off the voltage drop and using the same voltage range as your battery, that gives about 6% usage of the battery, while the Ah shows the ride used 15% of the battery's advertised 15Ah.

Camry Thread
E-Bike Thread