View Single Post
Old 07-26-2017, 06:31 PM   #33 (permalink)
IamIan
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalya View Post
@IamIan:
This is such a wealth of information, thanks very much.
Very welcome , any time. .. Glad to help.

Quote:
I was thinking I could use the custom stiff rear springs and possibly GAZ shocks that are now made for the car and then it would be okay to go a little above OEM weight.
Sounds good

Even just +10% of ~1,800 Lbs is another ~180 Lbs (~82kg) to work with.

Quote:
Do your figures include removing the A/C or is this for a car that never had it? That's an additional ~20 kg.
A/C no .. and yes .. you could shave even more than that ~180kg off if you want.

From what I've been told/read .. the ~180kg number includes:
ICE + All support systems
Transmission 5 speed Transaxel
IMA + all it's pieces (motor, controllers, batteries, DC-DC , etc.)

You'll need a DC-DC of some type .. so you'll have to add some back in for that .. and unless you are doing a direct to shaft type , you'll probably have to bring back in the Transmission .. of course your Electric motor will have some weight too .. etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
I'm thinking that 30kw continuous figure might be a little on the weak side if you live in a mountainous area. I'd go very slightly larger.
Of course can go as high as one wishes , they make lots of very power electric motors .. just a personal preference thing.

Just for comparison/perceptive:

At near ~OEM Weight .. 30kw continuous (with no wind) can hold constant speed up a ~30% (~17deg) slope at ~60MPH.

The OEM Insight ICE+IMA combined .. (any gear you like) .. doesn't get above 30kw output (even in rich with 100% max IMA Assist) , until you are over about ~2,500 RPMs .. and without IMA Assist the OEM ICE alone , even in rich burn and V-Tech doesn't get above ~30kw output until up near ~3,500 RPMs.

If you have a OBDII device you can data log with .. Like an OBDII-C&C + Laptop .. you can log your RPM usage window .. and of course each person's route / conditions / methods will vary .. but when I logged this for myself in my Insight for a year , I got .. I used a peak of over ~2k RPM only ~36.8% of the time (about ~25kw Max ICE+Max IMA Assist) .. and only used a peak over ~3k RPMs ~0.003% of the time (about ~36kw Max ICE and Max IMA Assist) .. soo , it would be ok for my usage pattern .. of course YMMV.