View Single Post
Old 07-27-2017, 06:10 AM   #34 (permalink)
sidecar
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalya View Post
I think the main advantages of using one of these cars for an EV conversion are they're very cheap, light, and aerodynamic. Homemade EVs usually have poor range, and I wouldn't be able to use it for much if I couldn't do atleast 50 miles in it. But maybe I could sell it to someone else who lived in town and didn't need to drive as much if I just couldn't get the range out if it that I needed.
In the interests of disclosure I have little idea of Insight, Im basing my responses on the plug in Prius with the knowledge that kits for PEV Prius exist and have been successful.

Definitely current hybrids are a good channel to a full EV. Prius has no accessory drive, no alternator, no starter motor. So some hidden benefits you wont have to sort out are regenerative braking, electric assistance for power brakes, power steering, air conditioning. The cars are at least part time EVs, therefore they make the shortest most logical route.

Prius has available an EV mode, and it can drive a short way on its suitcase size battery using the cars two electric motors. Speed is limited (I think to 32MPH) but this is more of a battery protection issue.

Just one difference for Prius is that coolant is used to provide heating. To maintain a consistent heat supply the cars have an insulated reservoir tank of coolant so that the heat doesn't stop because the engine does. I dont think this makes using a Prius as a basis is impossible though.

As far as I know, there are no commercially available kits for converting a Honda to a PHEV, and I suspect there are reasons for that. Honda’s Integrated Motor Assist (IMA) hybrid system differs from Prius in that it only operates when the engine runs. It is not capable of powering the car in electric only mode.

I think your mission requires more research, or just plain get a Prius and kit instead?

I hope this link is helpful, good luck ...

Insight PHEV - EAA-PHEV

If you wanted to look at Prius instead, theres a lot of amateur DIY work out there, if I can put in a plug (no pun intended) for the Prius Chat Forum

https://priuschat.com/forum/

http://www.evplus.com.au/evplus_conversions.htm

Last edited by sidecar; 07-27-2017 at 09:13 AM.. Reason: additions