View Single Post
Old 07-29-2017, 05:22 AM   #39 (permalink)
IamIan
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
It's not part of my every day drive, but there are plenty of "normal routes" where I live, in which I'm at 3500-4000rpm with assist to maintain 40mph. 3rd gear is simply too tall to climb many of the "hills" around here, many of which take 5-10 minutes to climb.
As they say .. YMMV

Good example .. people doing a conversion .. either need to know their specific context needs , or have plenty of surplus to cover whatever.

2nd gear ~3,500 RPM , ICE with some IMA assist on top (so you're up around ~40kw for the ICE+IMA combined) , in 2nd gear .. just for 40MPH .. , wow without a head wind that's like around ~28 degree slope .. for up to ~7 miles or so at a time .. you gained over ~3miles of elevation in 10 minutes .. ouch that's a crazy combination of very steep and extremely long hill .. going up painful .. but equally holly cow , the going down that hill on the way back .. that's up near ~6.6kwh of potential energy getting converted back .. probably at least around ~5kwh of braking energy friction or regenerative , even my A123 IMA pack could only suck up ~2.5kwh of it .. ... ouch .. Glad I don't have several monster hills like that , in my driving.