View Single Post
Old 07-30-2017, 11:14 AM   #44 (permalink)
Natalya
Engine-Off-Coast

Red 2000 Insight (2017 through 2019) - '00 Honda Insight 5MT
90 day: 64.72 mpg (US)

Red 2000 Lithium Insight (2020) - '00 Honda Insight LTO
90 day: 71.76 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jray3 View Post
Other than " at least 50 miles" in the original post, I haven't seen Natalya define the essential mission parameters before folks got in the weeds on technical details. How far, how fast, and how much $?
Right, so first is try to find a cheap G1 with drivetrain and IMA issues. I'm talking EGR valve failure, high miles, P1449, 2nd gear grind, damaged ISB, etc. It should be relatively easy to find a car that was not maintained properly and has most//all of those issues. Or even better would be a G1 with a seized engine.

Part out any good engine//IMA components.

I probably want to go with the original manual transmission box because I can't construct a drivetrain. If the car has transmission problems I've never fixed those but I think that I have some chances since the procedure is so well-documented and I personally know some people who've done a transmission rebuild on this car.

I know I said 50 miles in OP but it realistically probably needs 70 or 80 mile range my work commute is 24 miles 1 way, I'd be really pushing it at 50. This means extra batteries and//or some kind of regen. I do hypermile (I'll regularly sit in the right lane going 50-55) and I'd be open to aeromods on the car and like I mentioned before, stiff springs on all 4 corners + extra batteries.

A helpful option I have is that my boss would totally be okay if I plugged in the car at work. I also live in the south so if there were a way to stick solar panels on the roof + hood to get maybe 1 or 2 extra miles worth of charge while it sits in the sun all day (our parking lot faces south) that'd be cool too.

Do I NEED this car? Thankfully, no, I have a perfectly fine G2 and I have another G1 which, aside from getting damaged by some idiot doing a U-turn, is completely mechanically sound. This means I can play the long game waiting for good deals on stuff and doing things over and over again to improve on previous iterations.

I guess my goals are:
1 - Do something fun
2 - 60-70 miles when hypermiling
3 - Save the shell of some mechanically worthless G1 Insight from the scrapyard
4 - Start with a budget of $5000 or less
5 - Learn new skills in the process

Quote:
30 kW may get you there, but from experience, I'll say that 170 kW of Zilla power is a helluva lot more fun! Besides throttle ramp rate, clutch selection is a good way to limit drivetrain abuse (better to slip than shred), and the clutch is an important safety feature as well.
There are two Gen 1 Insight conversions in Portland Oregon; Gary Graunke and John Wayland.
An AC-driven car with regen adds up to 10% range and a new dimension of driving excitement, but the cost/benefit ratio winner is still a series motor and powerful controller, especially since there are so many secondhand bargains these days. The 11" is not only overkill, but would be far less responsive than a 6" or 8" motor. I wouldn't go even 9" unless you're going for a Zilla and beefier tranny.
LEAF modules are about the easiest, most affordable battery option for DIY, but CALB cells will last longer and fit in many spaces better.
I think I'm going to have to go direct current + controller for simplicity. Is this like totally incapable of getting regen? I don't know much about motors but I was pretty sure that if you spin a DC motor it produces current. Or is the issue capturing it w/o destroying the controller//batteries?

Quote:
First item to buy for your project: a towbar, dolly, or trailer.
Good Luck,
Jay
Yes absolutely.