Thread: Tesla Model 3
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2017, 04:22 PM   #128 (permalink)
RedDevil
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Which is just pure BS. There's a good reason Apple has never had more than a small fraction of the computer market: its OS has always (well, since the first Mac) been difficult & unpleasant to use (etc)
I could tell about my own exploits, but I rather refer to how others experience it.
Case in point: my parents.

Dad had a string of desktop PC's using Windows 3.11 up to XP. Then a top of the line 17" laptop with Vista.
He never got it. We had to help him all the time and many times I had to spend hours on the phone or jump in the car to aid him.

Then at 79 years of age he bought an iMac and a iPad for good measure.
Mom and dad both did a handful of 1 hour Apple courses, and they now happily surf, mail, edit text and photos, install all kinds op apps - more active than ever - with no support from me or my brother-in-law.

About the Apple-Tesla analogy:
The point I was trying to make is that Apple, and Tesla, have a clear, holistic view of how their appliance should be operated and facilitate that as best as they can.
The Windows platform and many car controls are a bunch of loose systems, developed independently of each other, with many different ways to do the same thing.
While these systems get more integrated and interactive over time, that process is spurred on by necessity, not by initial design.

Conventional car manufacturers make cars. They see their cars as objects. These objects are more or less stuffed with modular systems that do a certain thing in its own peculiar way. It may not have relevance to other systems, but it honors its legacy.

Tesla makes a car system. The internet, the driver, the environment are part of the system as they interact with the car. That sets it apart and makes it hard to emulate.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.
The Following User Says Thank You to RedDevil For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (08-03-2017)