Thread: Tesla Model 3
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2017, 10:37 PM   #142 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
The surprising thing I heard was the current episode of EVTV. Not just about the Model 3 (12¢/kWh at the Supercharger):
  • How Jack Rickard predicted in 1998 you could order a car on Internet and have it delivered to your house, then did that with his Model S.
  • How others see the Supercharger network as a 'cost', while people won't buy a car if they 'can't drive it to California'.
  • How nobody can catch Tesla at this point on batteries, charger network or solar panels.
  • How Jack has turned the corner on autonomous vehicles (better than humans on average will be good enough)
But the thing that really caught my attention is the Nvidia PX2.

The world's first Teraflop computer was built in 1996 in Beaverton, OR. It was 76 server cabinets. Every Tesla off the assembly line in the last year or two has had an Nvidia PX2 embedded in it. Those have eight Teraflops. He compares to a 5-year-old Power Mac ($20K fully loaded). It's worth 150 of those.

Mind blown. There has to be a wrecking yard that contains more computing power than some University.
I'm always impressed by your breadth of knowledge and acceptance of change.

From an article I just read about the PX2, it sounds like they won't be required on all vehicles all of the time. Instead, the algorithms for various scenarios can be learned from the initially equipped vehicles, and the behavior downloaded to other "dumber" vehicles.

I wonder what the near-future of computing will look like considering the looming stall in transistor shrinking?

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!