Thread: Tesla Model 3
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2017, 03:51 PM   #147 (permalink)
jamesqf
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
That said, I'm willing to suffer the inconvenience of less precise button pushing and tactile feedback for the sake of reduced cost and infinitely variable function placement.
Reduced cost? I don't know about that. Sure, it's cheap to draw icons on a screen, but you have to connect those icons to electromechanical actuators somehow. So for an example, is it cheaper to roll down your window with a screen icon, a switch by the window, or a handle?

Quote:
If modern cars had buttons for every function instead of touch screens, they would begin to resemble an airplane cockpit.
What's wrong with an airplane cockpit? My Cherokee's cockpit isn't all that complex - a couple of extra instruments and a navcomm, sure, but no shift lever, no turn signals, no windshield wiper...

You also need to ask how many of those functions of modern cars need to be acessible (or even should be accessible) while driving. Sure, an LCD display for diagnostics &c would be a fine thing (which could be done perfectly well with a laptop or tablet), but it should hide out of sight while the driver concentrates on driving.