View Single Post
Old 08-31-2017, 09:28 AM   #47 (permalink)
smallscaleH2
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by niky View Post
Simply spraying water randomly into the exhaust is a no-starter.
Not into the exhaust, over the exhaust. The idea is that the exhaust gas would wash out due to the water, in plain air. This is important as in plain air, there's no waste heat from the tailpipe itself, so it's easier to wash it out.

Quote:
The only answer that makes sense is an alternator driven pump.
I'll try a gravity-fed system first, seems simpler if I can get it to work.

Quote:
And IF you're going the roundabout route of spraying the exhaust instead of the intake, you want to spray it before the exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) valve to maximize cleaning (clean the exhaust, clean soot out of the EGR... big issue for diesels driven in traffic or primarily at low rpms) and to increase the benefits of EGR cooling (Mazda specifically uses cooled EGR for its SkyActiv motors).
Well, no. There's the heat issue mentioned above. Also, if I do it at the exhaust, the sprayer doesn't need to resist the heat either, so many of the parts can be plain plastic then.

Quote:
Having both water injection and hydrogen injection means twice the complication and twice the added hardware.
Agreed. But this method is just a quick fix for Diesels and intented to improve air quality with these since I can't run fully on hydrogen in Diesels (hydrogen injection will work, but that's still more polluting than running on pure hydrogen). So the idea is that I get the hydrogen injection implemented first, and then make sure that much less (preferably none) of the generated air pollution gets into people's lungs.