View Single Post
Old 09-01-2017, 03:22 PM   #12 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamsterpower View Post
If you get a failed/failing code, that is a symptom of issues upstream that must be fixed first. Often leaking injectors running way rich or bad O2 sensor. Those will clog or burn out the ceramic media.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumby79 View Post
+1 on finding the cause of the failure insted of just fixing the symptoms of the failure.
Right. That. I think I even commented on that somewhere.

Well, of course the cat manufacturer is pointing the blame elsewhere, but they are using big words and pretty pictures, so they must be correct. Their example of an overheated catalytic converter:

Mine:

They do not show the inside, though. Mine is not melted at all, although a chunk of carbon came out of the bung hole. I have an "Atomic Beam" flashlight and cannot see anything in there, but I can see perfectly from one end to the other.

Quote:
Excessive rich fuel conditions and exhaust leaks ahead of the converter are prime examples. They result in higher than normal temperatures that can cause matting erosion and burn away or melt converter coatings. If temperatures are high enough, the ceramic substrate itself will melt and clog.
Look upstream for the culprit in a converter failure - Eastern Manufacturing

I called Mom's shop because I feel they have always been honest and good, but they were busy, so she said she would call me back with a quote. They use Magnaflow and Imco.

Imco? Great! I never heard of them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JockoT View Post
A genuine Honda cat for my 2006 Jazz is £1200. If I only get 6 months out of my £85 one I can keep replacing it for 14 years before I spend that.
Doesn't Scotland do warranties?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BurnedCat.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	22579   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cat 4.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	22580