View Single Post
Old 09-07-2017, 11:38 AM   #16 (permalink)
Rosieuk
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JockoT View Post
Scotland’s First Minister today announced that new petrol and diesel vehicles will be phased out in Scotland by 2032 – eight years ahead of the rest of the UK. There is also to be a significant expansion in the charging network, including an Electric Highway along the A9, Scotland's longest road.
Scotland’s four biggest cities will have Low Emission Zones, banning the most polluting vehicles, by 2020. The Scottish government is already committed to one Low Emission Zones by the end of next year.
Let’s see what happens with that. Kind of goes against their North Sea Oil stance of the Independence Referendum.
Sorry, your government seems to have caught the stupid bug from ours (England, specifically the oldest recorded town (with the chubbiest recorded cretin as our MP)).
within 2 years or so there will be catalytic coatings for buildings that will get rid of nox and co pollution that can be painted on to practically any building
then you've got dual mode two/four stroke motors and the Mazda HCCI designs coming on stream.
Add to that the UK, and in that I include Scotland residential electrical system is limited to 13a at 240v or 3000w give or take.. plug in a electric car and try and make a cup of tea on the same circuit and it'll melt, not to mention how the hell so you charge someone for their electric car while living in a towerblock? assuming it doesn't spontaneously combust at 6pm on the button after someone puts their car on charge.. and precisely how many milliseconds will it take the energy companies to put the prices up by 400%?
Then there's the rare metals needed for manufacturing and the slightest problem whereby aluminium costs 4000kwh per tonne to smelt, steel 550-700kwh only over 75% more pollution required to make the materials for an average bodyshell (let alone the shaping, spot welding or roll welding (I forget the proper term) and the painting) - and that's for something the size of my little Accent..
I've not really kept up with North Sea oil, but I do know that most of the fields are mature (I did geology at uni) and the newer stuff is harder to get to too, that's actually about the only rational argument re electrics and hybrids and that's more a strategic reason than a ecological one.. ie the less we use domestically the more we can export..
The only way electric transport is a viable and (even remotely) ecological proposition is a wholely revamped electricity grid powered by thorium based generation supported by renewables, and that means providing power from start to finish - it doesn't work if we in the west are running on Thorium and the places making the stuff, doing the mining and smelting are running on the technological equivalent of a clapped out Driptroit Diesel circa 1948.. some countries are still partially reliant on steam engines built in the 1890s for local and industrial power!