View Single Post
Old 09-13-2017, 09:03 AM   #25 (permalink)
elhigh
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 29.5 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 50.48 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by S Keith View Post
I don't see where you posted miles on the clock.

Concerning A/C use - even in mild climates, the Prius battery will get very hot - 120°F+
Sparing the A/C is usually a false economy in that the improved mileage you're getting means you'll replace your battery sooner. If it's under 80-85°F, it probably doesn't matter.

In case you weren't aware, the Prius compressor is all electric, and it varies its speed based on demand, so rather than cycling on and off like a traditional system, it dials back power usage to what it needs. Treat it like the house - Auto mode, recirc always on and control driver comfort with the temperature setting.

A good rule of thumb is - if a hot-flash prone lady isn't comfortable, the battery is too hot.
There are no miles to post since I just got it this past Saturday. I haven't even burned half a tank of fuel yet. It racks up about 50 miles per day on the commute, plus whatever Sweetie racks up during the day.

I'm aware of the AC, its serving both the battery and the passenger compartment, and the compressor being electric. High temps here are about 73-75 right now. We're good.

If I treat it like my house then I'm going to run with the windows open all night, get it down to about 60 degrees and then coast on that "coolth" for the rest of the day. Not a good analogy.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.