View Single Post
Old 09-24-2017, 08:12 PM   #21 (permalink)
oldtamiyaphile
Master EcoModder

UFI - '12 Fiat 500 Twinair
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 40.3 mpg (US)

Jeep - '05 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
90 day: 18.09 mpg (US)

R32 - '89 Nissan Skyline

STiG - '16 Renault Trafic 140dCi Energy
90 day: 30.12 mpg (US)

Prius - '05 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 50.25 mpg (US)

Premodded - '49 Ford Freighter
90 day: 13.48 mpg (US)

F-117 - '10 Proton Arena GLSi
Pickups
Mitsubishi
90 day: 37.82 mpg (US)

Ralica - '85 Toyota Celica ST
90 day: 25.23 mpg (US)

Sx4 - '07 Suzuki Sx4
90 day: 32.21 mpg (US)

F-117 (2) - '03 Citroen Xsara VTS
90 day: 30.06 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyMew View Post
I wonder how much of a difference it makes compared to white paint.
I have a white car with a black roof, I plan on testing the extremes later on, but I expect decent gains even from white, as chrome is still much more reflective.

Quote:
Also, without an air gap below the newfound reflective barrier, won't conductive heat win in the end?
There's no conduction without heat (or a heat differential to be specific). By reflecting more heat, there's less heat energy for conduction too. If I park in the open and the sun is that low, then the sides will still be open for conduction.

You can find a few tests online of white vs dark cars parked in the sun, the white car always stays cooler, chrome is like white+. It stays so cool that the roof remains wet in the evening after a morning shower on a warm day.

Quote:
Vinyl is also apparently a PITA to remove, especially from surfaces hammered by UV. I wonder if Plasti Dip with Silver Metalizer would work well or be easier to remove?
Plasti-Dip is expensive by comparison (in AU at $20+ per can), require masking off, and not as reflective.

The wrap is said to have a life of 3-5 years, but you can imagine that a matt black wrap (that tends to be all the rage) absorbs much more heat/ UV and therefore won't last anywhere near as long as chrome.

I removed the 'Jumbuck' lettering on my dark coloured ute after seven years, the lettering was all cracked and flakey. A bit of heat with the heat gun and it came off no problem at all. Barely even needed the wax/ grease remover (which frankly works amazing for removing sticker residue).