View Single Post
Old 10-05-2017, 03:12 AM   #27 (permalink)
ldjessee00
EcoModding Apprentice

The Leaf - '17 Nissan Leaf SL

Outback - '16 Subaru Outback

Vaquero - '20 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS
Spain has already demonstrated molten salt solar power generation that can go a minimum of 24 hours with no sunshine and 48+ with reduced sunshine. Utility level power, not just residential or light commercial.

A very common way to store energy is pump water up to a higher reservoir. This is done in some places just to save on power costs for their community. When power is cheaper (off-peak), water is pumped up (in the one I am familiar with) in the Delaware Water Gap to a reservoir that is higher up. When they need more electricity (and didn't want to build another power plant), the water is let flow down and turns turbines that generate the power to make up the difference. The area around this reservoir is parkland with trails and hiking paths...
That technique has been around a long time.
Also, as appliances and HVAC, in general, are getting less expensive (electricity wise), less power is needed.
People are making sure their homes are well insulated cuts down power
As for parking garage/lots. PV and Wind can help those lots generate power to charge the cars parked there.
If I owned apartment buildings, I would be covering any south facing or flat roofs with PV and/or hot water panels.
Price of PV panels seems to be getting very cheap, until you hear about how the cost of Wind generation has gotten so cheap, it competes with fossil and nuclear power without subsidies.
It is easier to predict the wind generation that the power usage levels, which is why the ability to use EV battery packs in cars connected to the grid to help offset sudden short peaks in power draw is something many grid utility operators want. It would save them so much money as now they have to have standbye power generation ready for those sudden peaks. If that could be handled by EV battery packs that are connected to the grid.
If businesses add power generation (PV and hot water panels), they save money, and surplus power sold to grid operator generates money. The roof of office buildings, work parking lots/garages, etc.
As vehicles (ICE or EV) get more efficient and safe, it will take less fuel (petroleum or electricy) and thus less demand on the Grid.

I think quick EV adoption is possible and the grid will be fine. Just my opinion though.

LDJ
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ldjessee00 For This Useful Post:
JockoT (10-05-2017), NeilBlanchard (10-05-2017)