View Single Post
Old 10-05-2017, 11:35 AM   #29 (permalink)
ldjessee00
EcoModding Apprentice

The Leaf - '17 Nissan Leaf SL

Outback - '16 Subaru Outback

Vaquero - '20 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS
Well, if I had the money and sunshine, I would do solar to battery and then charge my car from that battery.

My state just passed a law that will end net metering... but even at the $0.04 per kW, if it is in excess to what I can store and use while generating it, still better than getting nothing for it.

From what I have read and watched, not seen all home digital and smart meters work like that.

I am hoping some day to have a house built to my specifications... and besides lots of insulation, LED lights, radiant floor heating, and PV, hot water, & wind generation, it will also use passive solar techniques to help offset winter heating and summer cooling costs.

That combined with a large battery and insulated hot water tank, the house should produce more energy than I use. Then I will need to decide if connecting to the grid makes sense, but if I do, it will be mostly to sell my excess energy to the grid.

Yes, it would be great if our electrical grid was more of an open market and less a monopoly. I would just be happy to be using the lest polluting option for power and provide that kind of energy to the grid. It will only help the country and if a make a small amount, great.