View Single Post
Old 08-22-2008, 05:05 AM   #179 (permalink)
CapriRacer
Tire Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickpuppy318 View Post
it was definatly "run flat". i noticed the drop in milage first, but i doubt its been completely flat for a week.... i hope! Actually, thinking about it for a while, that tire is probably the one that had a puncture about six months ago. I'm not positive though.

I got it from tire kingdom. And they don't do plugs anymore, probably for good reason. So my wife had it pluged by some local shop on her way home. that was some time ago...

I still havn't found anything in the tire, but it is "hurricane-ing" out so i didn't look long. I think that plug might have gave out??? Down to 15psi after 24 hours.

i doubt its been completly flat for a week.....
1) ALL pressures we normally deal with are GAUGE pressures. The only time you have to deal with ABSOLUTE pressures is if you are dealing with weather and barometers - and of course, if you are using the PV=nRT formula. If you don't know what the formula is about, then you don't need to worry about it.

2) If the tire has a plug in it, then you shouldn't be inflating the tire over the placard value. Plugs are temporary repairs have have an annoying habit of leaking. Maybe not 100% of the time, and maybe not NOW, but often enough that they are unreliable for anything other than a temporary fix. So get the tire properly repaired - NOW. (which brings me to point #3)

3) If the tire had ZERO pressure, then it was run flat. That causes the tire's sidewall to weaken. making it more suspectible to a sudden blowout - and if that happens at high speed - well, the results could be tragic. So while the tire is being properly repaired, have the repair guy look inside. If there is any evidence of rubber dust or flaking, or there is abrasion on the outside sidewall, the tire is toast! Get it replaced. Do this NOW. Your life is worth more than the inconvenience.

Visit my website: www.BarrysTireTech.com
New Content every month!
The Following User Says Thank You to CapriRacer For This Useful Post:
Galvatron1 (01-29-2020)