View Single Post
Old 11-03-2017, 10:01 AM   #103 (permalink)
thingstodo
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazFisher View Post
At the company I used to work for, we did a pretty detailed paper design for a solid state transformer that used IGBTs. We built some of the subassemblies and tested them, but ran out of funding before we put it all together.
The simplified schematics for solid state transformers that I have seen all appear to have hi frequency transformers that do the actual voltage conversion. They are just a lot smaller and more efficient since they are designed for 500 - 1000 Hz not 60 Hz. It's more efficient, but I would not really describe them as 'solid state'.

I read a couple of papers (*REALLY* tough to digest) on using inductors instead of transformers, which gets rid of the heating in the transformer but causes it's own set of issues. But certainly more of a 'solid state' solution.

Which design style were you involved in? Did a company or a person purchase the IP or did that die with the company?

One of my pet peeves - wasting all the work that went into a design by having it collect dust on a shelf instead of selling the design or open sourcing it