View Single Post
Old 11-17-2017, 12:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLochard View Post
I checked out some of your stats and you’ve done some impressive things with your coupe. I’ve got the ScanGauge II for my gauges. Indiana Law just states that I need to have a mirror that the driver can see 200ft behind them so my 5 panel wink mirror does the trick. As for the WAI I’m going to make one because right now it’s about 30 degrees in the morning any my IAT is about 45 degrees driving and it’s a cheap mod anyway. For my Upper Grill Block I’m actually going to put it in front of the SI Grill that way it not only reduces the air traveling into the engine bay but also has some aerodynamic benefits as well. I got the idea from the salt flat top speed cars. I’m making a lower grill block as well and I’m also looking into some weight reduction like lighter wheels and maybe back seat removal. I’ll upload pictures of pretty much everything.
Great plans. The main benefit from a grill block is keeping airflow out of the engine bay. Doing that makes the air travel around the nose more. There will be relatively little benefit from a block in front of the Si upper grill panel. So if you want to show off your Si grill piece, I think putting the block behind it will fit your needs nicely. But I understand going for max aero benefit too! It is what I do. My lower block is almost total. And if you set it up so you have forced air ducting straight to your coolant radiator (not AC, of course) you will make the OEM cooling system a little more efficient. One trick I use is I have a hole in my lower grill block in front of the radiator, and I moved my license plate so I can block the hole with it. I also set it up so I can position the plate over half the hole, or none of it. In your winter, such a set up would improve warm up time. Keep an eye on your coolant temps. I have an alarm set for 206* coolant temps on my UltraGauge. I also control temps with DFCO deceleration, since the waterpump turns whenever the crank is turning.

In the conditions you describe a WAI is proly gonna be a greater beneift, especially if you are heavily blocking your gills because there will be less cool air circulating in the engine bay, probably.

Good luck.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.