View Single Post
Old 11-21-2017, 02:59 PM   #559 (permalink)
slowmover
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
It reminded me I hadn't discussed Fennell with my son. So I brought up the hometown Dallas Wind Symphony in a Fennell arrangement with a YouTube link. Then, to him conducting a Japanese orchestra in William Waltons, Crown Imperial, 1937 coronation piece. That old man smile at the end told it all.

Of course from there it's off to more Walton, then inevitably Elgar. Lux Aeterna [Nimrod] from Enigma Variations by the early A.M. texts.

Earlier this year it was, ". . arranged by Nelson Riddle". No ones ever been better at backing singers. And it's that a great voice doesn't always mean the best interpretation. (Great American Songbook, in main; pretty well a slam dunk if it's Riddle accompanying in a Cole Porter tune; Sinatra's rendition of Ive Got You Under My Skin; or maybe Judy Garland,Do I Love You? ). Been a blast texting this stuff back and forth.

There's an ad promo vid called, "Got You Under My Skin (Concert Collection)" re Franks concert films. At Studio A at Capitol? Riddle conducting. Not best version, but gives I'm pact of what was possible. The Europeans are hard to match what can be done with an orchestra. And, so are we. Funny they can't swing like we can.

But it's Harry James gets me out of bed these past couple of months.
Barn 12, one hot example.

(Is it actually music if electricity is required?)

After JFK died, quality itself dies. Three chords. Whoopee. Syncopated noise is what's left. Already long gone in the visual arts at that point.

Whole lot easier to deal with traffic where the music playing has enough sophistication to cover a number of observable patterns going on. Now I know ol' FB is gonna git that VW to the house, hell or high water. But coming down 12-14 gears behind him to almost dead slow is other than a chord change.

Last edited by slowmover; 11-21-2017 at 03:07 PM..