View Single Post
Old 11-22-2017, 07:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ecky
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,515 Times in 1,555 Posts
That's not really how it works, there's no "hybrid 40+ MPG".

The transmission in your car is a "power split device", a planetary gearset that keeps the engine at optimal load (high efficiency) and varies RPM to meet the power needs to push your car down the road. You need a certain amount of power to cruise down the road, and revving the engine up produces more power, but burns more fuel. You either get the power to go down the road from gasoline, or from the battery... and the battery is ultimately filled by burning gasoline too. Revving the engine up higher would burn more fuel, not less. There's no such thing as a free lunch.

Be aware that air resistance goes up by the cube of your speed, so driving at 80mph vs 70mph has 50% more air resistance to overcome for a 14% increase in speed.

If you want better economy, you have a few options:

1) Always drive downhill and with a tail wind

2) Reduce the drag coefficient of your car with modifications to aerodynamics. Some things you might try could include a partial grille block, an air dam or belly pan, smooth wheel covers and/or rear wheel skirts, kamm back or boat tail, passenger mirror removal or replacement with cameras.

3) Slow down - reducing my speed from 80 to 65mph nearly doubles my fuel economy, more than every mod I could do to my car put together

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ecky For This Useful Post:
Daox (11-22-2017), MetroMPG (11-22-2017), Natalya (11-26-2017), Xist (11-22-2017)