View Single Post
Old 11-22-2017, 09:10 AM   #36 (permalink)
Ecky
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,515 Times in 1,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat View Post
I'm surprised to see WOT being advocated here when I thought Ecomodder rule #1 was do not use WOT.
How do you guys justify/explain using the fuel enrichment mode of WOT in preference to the closed loop control of say 80%-90% WOT in this uphill situation?
Not wanting to sound confrontational, I have an open mind about this, as I have yet to nail the art of efficient uphill, and on some occasions I have been surprised when flooring it uphill that the overall fuel economy was not as bad as I feared, so there could be something in it!
In my Insight, my AFR meter shows no measurable fuel enrichment with high throttle percentages. Under most driving conditions (where I'm running 1500-2000RPM), "25% throttle" via pedal position is effectively the same as "wide open", because pressing it further doesn't provide any more torque and doesn't burn any more fuel. It's a manual transmission, so pressing the pedal further also doesn't tell a computer to shift.

Generally speaking, having the throttle "wide open" up a shallow hill (without downshifting) will just about maintain a constant speed. So, for me, WOT is maintaining a constant speed up a hill, and it's also keeping me at peak BSFC.

So, I suppose it's important to qualify what we mean when we say "WOT".