View Single Post
Old 11-24-2017, 09:38 AM   #11 (permalink)
MetroMPG
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,960 Times in 3,604 Posts
time out

(Admin note: thread closed for a time out. I cleaned up some language and uncivil comments.)

kidgrem: it appears you're not getting the answer you were hoping for. There is no simple hack to do what you want. There's no magic bullet. Repeating the question won't produce a different answer.

So what about a highly complex hack? Could your Ford's computer theoretically be re-programmed to return better fuel economy at higher engine loads & RPM?

Of course that's possible. Though it might come at the expense of higher emissions, reduced refinement (possible driveability issues -- eg. through altered air:fuel ratio), and reduced longevity (eg. more aggressive electric assist would improve MPG ... but at the expense of reduced battery life).

You could seek out and hire an expert tuner to map and reprogram the car's various drivetrain computers -- just make sure to find someone with hybrid experience. Be prepared for a massive invoice (and bring a carrot to feed to their unicorn).

Most experts and members here would instead recommend reducing engine load to improve MPG through: drag reduction (aerodynamic mods); weight reduction; reduced rolling resistance; reduced mechanical friction (eg. lubricants); reduced electrical loads; thermal management, etc.

EG: http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ims-35760.html

Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget

The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:
Xist (11-24-2017)