View Single Post
Old 11-26-2017, 10:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Quote:
Last year, [...] a Daimler executive set off a wave of criticism when he was quoted as saying its autonomous vehicles would prioritize the lives of its passengers over anyone outside the car. The company later insisted he’d been misquoted, since it would be illegal “to make a decision in favor of one person and against another.”
The entire article argues they need to program these decisions.

Quote:
people [...] were less likely to buy any car “in which they and their family member would be sacrificed for the greater good.”
They mention Mesa, AZ!

I constantly saw self-driving cars in Tempe, the city to the west, Waymo, Uber, and a few other companies. I frequently saw a couple in a row.

One Uber car signaled to change lanes, started to, jerked back into its lane, and repeated a couple of more times.

I hope they work out that.

I read a similar article before that asked if you would want your car to save you or a stranger. "What if they won the Nobel Prize? What if they are discovering the cure to cancer?"

Trying to predict humans seems impossible, but determining Nobel Prize winners, and people that are not currently "important," but will be?

Really?

"Crystal Balls now come standard in self-driving cars."