View Single Post
Old 08-23-2008, 02:52 AM   #7 (permalink)
orange4boy
Master EcoModder

The Golden Egg - '93 Toyota Previa DX
90 day: 31.91 mpg (US)

Chewie - '03 Toyota Prius
90 day: 57 mpg (US)

The Spaceship - '00 Honda Insight
Quote:
Your Previa mods are awesome to read about. What kind of range do you get with running your electrical off the deep cycle batteries?
From my doorstep to downtown Seattle one way is 212km or 132 miles according to google maps. This included about 45 minutes at the border with about 20 starts to avoid idling and some use of the electric fan. when I got there the batts were at about 60% depth of discharge. 50% is about as low as I can go with these batts. Lower shortens the life too much. I guess you could go quite a bit farther with new batts, more batts, or true deep cycle batts like trojans.

I'm itching to take the SAD beast out with all it's cast iron. There must be a couple hundred lbs there. Good bye inertial mass, hello Ferrarevia!

It already revs up quicker now.

It's relatively easy to pop off the belts to try it. Make sure your tires are fully pumped as well as your arms for any parallel parking. Steering is a little harder so be ready.

I'm also hoping to do a conversion or hybrid on mine. This is a stop gap measure in the mean time. Until the right batteries are cheap enough or I win the lottery. The easiest would be an assist motor attached to the accessory drive shaft but of course a lot of losses there through the motor.

Have you heard of any other EV Previas? We are lighter than an S10, can take a bigger payload and are much more aero. There are hundreds of S10 EV's.

My wish list includes a set of LRR tires. Do you know what the OEM tires were? I bet they were LRR.

"It’s easy to explain how rockets work but explaining the aerodynamics of a wing takes a rocket scientist.