View Single Post
Old 08-23-2008, 03:16 AM   #24 (permalink)
tjts1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
The combination of making the price of diesel fuel nearly a buck a gallon higher, reducing engine efficiency to the point that diesels barely get any more MPG than gas pigs, and making the engines be sold at a huge premium for no quantiable benefit kills the diesel in the US. This forecloses any serious efforts to increase fleet MPG. You can play your little games with duct tape on your radiator inlets forever, but that will not be as effective as having an engine that is 25-50% more efficient.

VW Jettas with gas-pig engines struggled to get more than 25 MPG. Diesel (pre-Tier II) Jettas routinely got 40. With ULSD and Tier II, that effiency is just a memory.
If the EPA had anything to do with the price of diesel I would say they are doing the rest of us a service, but I can't give them credit for that. That theory has already been debunked. But I can't help but smile at the thought that we will never have to deal with the diesel emissions nightmare that Europeans have been living under for the last 10 years.

European Diesel Decline Has Begun | The Truth About Cars

Green Car Congress: Diesel Exhaust Associated with Higher Heart Attack, Stroke Risk in Men

Diesel exhaust nanoparticles can get trapped in lungs

Roadside diesel pollution poses heart danger: study | Science & Health | Reuters

A danger that swirls in the air of Europe - International Herald Tribune

BBC NEWS | Health | Diesel pollution 'clogs arteries'

Last edited by tjts1; 08-23-2008 at 04:24 AM..