View Single Post
Old 08-24-2008, 01:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
TheTopher
EcoModding Lurker

Pearl - '96 Acura Integra LS 3 door
90 day: 27.52 mpg (US)

Dorothy - '95 Ford Ranger XLT
New hair brained idea...

So a couple weeks ago I found a thread on here that was talking about an alternator that was powered by exhaust gasses, very similar to how a turbocharger is powered by them. It's essentially free electricity. I had a little hard time finding the thread for a link, but when I have some more time I'm going to go back and look for it. Anyway I also found a thread about using the car's electricity to create hydrogen from water to help boost the engine, and the general consensus was that since it's putting added strain on the engine to create the boost the net gain is nothing. This page However, what if this hydrogen system was powered by one of the new "turbine alternators" (I don't remember the actual name for it) Since it doesn't take any added stress on the engine to power this type of alternator, would this make the hydrogen boost idea feasible?

Just a side note. I don't have the resources to actually try this, I just thought it was an interesting idea and wanted to hear other's thoughts on it.

Just getting started. *raises his right foot* Here's to saving gas. Cheers.