View Single Post
Old 12-29-2017, 08:16 PM   #13 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,388 Times in 3,362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
Yeah, I've known my "cooperative" sucks for years. Doesn't change the point.

But that also brings up another point: were I a heavy electricity user my cost/Kwh would drop dramatically. So much for conservation incentive.

A whopping $3 less: Average Monthly Electrical Bill by State
Are you purposely using selective facts and N=1 examples to mislead people? Your cost per kWh could be infinite if you use no electricity but are still billed fixed costs.

It's absurd to assume people are motivated to consume more electricity just to reduce their cost per kWh. Most people don't even know what their electric bill is, and even fewer know what the rate is.

The relevant issue at hand is the marginal consumer cost (cost for each additional unit) of electricity. Without stating it outright, I alluded to the fact that the marginal cost for German power production is orders of magnitude more expensive than the US, and higher than most everywhere else.

Quote:
German household power prices have reached a record high in early 2017 while wholesale prices are sinking. But despite the fact that Germans pay among the highest per-unit rates in Europe, their support for the Energiewende – the shift to a low-carbon economy – is strong.
https://www.cleanenergywire.org/fact...olds-pay-power

US homes are twice the size of German homes, consume over 3x more electricity while the average bill is lower.

The Germans can have their few hours of getting paid to consume electricity, I'll take my consistently low electric rate.

A truly progressive scheme for electricity pricing would be to bill initial kWh consumption at a low rate, and progressively higher rates with increasing use. Of course, people would then install multiple meters to mitigate these expenses.

It's probably best just to leave the unit cost alone, just as my clothing (or puppy, or most anything) costs are independent of the amount I purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksa8907 View Post
I'd love to conserve like you guys, family of 4 means I can't be a scruge too much. Around $100 for roughly 800kwh. $.10 base for 0-500kwh and $.5 base for 500+kwh. Bunch of riders tacked on that brings up the kwh cost.

Our big electric users are the range/oven (We cook a lot), water heater, clothes dryer, and hvac. As appliances die I will convert to NG.
Likely a wise financial decision in the short run. In the long run (20 years?) I see natural gas falling out of favor as technology and policy shifts towards ever cheaper electricity. This is my instinct, although I haven't researched energy forecasts at all.

BTW, my consumption is also based on 4 people living in a 2100 sq/ft house. We have natural gas for heat, water, dryer, and BBQ. The range is a minor consideration even if you cook a lot.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 12-30-2017 at 01:03 AM..