View Single Post
Old 01-04-2018, 01:31 PM   #711 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,380 Times in 3,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
I concur with the foundational document, in that it's Okay to "institute [new] Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness."
I'll have to read through these when I get a chance. As an aside, it seems reasonable that any tax revenue collected to fund a particular program should be used only to serve the purpose of that program, and that any spending outside of that should be illegal. Unused funds need to be refunded back. If new needs arise that need funding, a new fund and tax should be voted on for that purpose. How misusing funds is legal, is beyond my knowledge.

Society usually fills in the gaps that government leaves, and often does so more effectively than a government program can provide. I suspect if SS was voluntary, and some people came to misfortune having opted out, communities would still not allow people to die in the streets.

Voluntarily agreeing to work for someone else does not have to be brutal. Meeting their greed with your own should balance out to an agreement that is mutually beneficial. I've mostly worked for others my adult life, and I'm likely to have a comfortable and financially secure life. Alternatively, the US is among the easiest places to be self-employed. The bankruptcy laws favor taking risk and experimenting. There are many chances for a new beginning here (I'm an ex-con).

I'll also point out that it's folly to think that joy and happiness are linked to financial standing beyond having basic needs met. I'm wealthier today than 10 years ago, but I cannot say I'm happier for it.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!