View Single Post
Old 01-08-2018, 11:36 AM   #114 (permalink)
Phoenix'97
EcoModding Lurker

White Steed - '97 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am WS6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
Yes, you can absolutely do that, and that's the arrangement almost every hybrid on the market uses.

EDIT: Another neat feature of electric motors is that they produce peak torque at effectively 0RPM, where the gasoline engine produces the least. Off-the-line acceleration can be improved dramatically, even if the motor's total output is far less than the gas engine's peak output. Here's the torque curve of a 111HP gasoline engine paired with a 14HP electric motor:

At 1000rpm the electric motor is increasing total torque by almost 60%, despite being only 14HP.
Well, what comes to mind is an episode of the proper Top Gear, the original British version where Clarkson drives a hybrid hypercar McLaren P1. This is where he mentioned how the electric motor filled in performance gaps of the gasoline engine to result in some insanely impressive performance!

Suffice it to say, I would love to have this kind of complimentary performance in my car. I didn't think it was possible to have access to hybrid technology that I could incorporate with some degree of ease on my V8 car. What this technology would also do for me is make it totally unnecessary to have to build the motor for increased torque production on the low RPM side when the electric motors can help me achieve this!

This is really the best way to have my cake and eat it too! The fuel savings will add up, especially when using Iso-Butanol, and furthermore I can feel great in knowing that I can drive my V8 around town and my emissions are further reduced by hybrid technology. If we can make use of that new solar panel film material on cars, this would also help make the technology even more beneficial when you now don't need to have to plug in these cars for a recharge!

I just hope I will be able to get a kit on my car in the future at some point.