View Single Post
Old 01-08-2018, 01:32 PM   #117 (permalink)
Phoenix'97
EcoModding Lurker

White Steed - '97 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am WS6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
Right, I think we're on the same page now. The question is, what method will you use to implement it?

Regarding the motor, probably the easiest and cheapest is a belt-mounted hybrid motor/generator - it can go in place of the alternator, bolted to the engine, with a beefier belt. Other options are motors attached in-line with the driveshaft (requires custom driveshaft, but has advantages), or hub motors in the wheels (more unsprung weight, but has its own advantages). The motor in most simple hybrids is bolted to the engine. You could even pick your own motor (pull one from a dead forklift?) and fabricate your own mounts and belt pulley for it.
If I can go this route, I am thinking that hub motors would be the way to go. Trying to keep it simple, rear wheel motors do the charging and the front wheels do the pulling, while simultaneously the engine spins the rear wheels for the pushing. Then this way the front hub motors are always in use, even on the expressway and there is no issue of losing too much power when the system has a means to recharge itself.