View Single Post
Old 01-09-2018, 06:13 AM   #127 (permalink)
Phoenix'97
EcoModding Lurker

White Steed - '97 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am WS6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
Yeah hub motors don’t work, never have never will.

A key portion of the video says “200’/lb” (without fears that’s not enough to start electrically from a stop)

Another key portion says supplements acceleration of the gasoline motor.

Without start stop on the gas engine these motors wouldn’t do much but be expensive decorations.

Further what isn’t stated is that as you bounce along, drive in mud, salt, slush you damage and corrode the hub motors.

The only place I have seen a hub motor work is on an ebike where the rider can “push off” to get going
Well this University is in the process of perfecting this technology to apply to any vehicle. You see how excited I got over finding this product, although it is still in development. It beats the crap out of settling for a Prius! I want my V8 "gas guzzler"!

I have to watch the video again but I think he implies that one of these systems puts out 200 ft/lbs of torque, thus the two provide a combined 400 ft/lbs of torque!

Now, for my application, I would prefer to have the constant use of my gasoline engine, but an issue I have been constantly dealing with is the lack of low end torque and the amount of vacuum loss I encounter when trying to get my car moving from a dead stop. Even on the highway in my overdrive sixth gear, the car does not produce enough torque below 2000 RPM to permit me to cruise at around 1500 RPM as I would prefer for max fuel economy. This is where this hybrid system would aid my LT1 in fuel efficiency and power production, as ironic as that is!

You really shouldn't need start/stop on a car with this set-up because the gasoline motor will be working half as hard meaning you could essentially drive around at near idle speed when using the gasoline engine and electric hub motors to move the car, in tandem. You could even use a lower numerical number gear ratio on a manual transmission and not have to worry about lugging the motor while theoretically having insanely wonderful highway mileage because you are idling at high speed with use of those electric hub motors.

Green Energy Management (GEM) Updates | Middle Tennessee State University

The University is working to address the issue with using this style of hub motor in dirty conditions as you have described! They are now using a switched reluctance motor. Now, to use this kind of motor and to both, hide the fact my car is a hybrid and to help shield it from the elements, I already have a wheel design in mind.

A last issue to address is how to charge this system while the car is driving! A simple solution is to add two more hub motors on the drive wheels powered by the gasoline engine, only they are set to recharge the battery pack while the non-drive wheels are in operation by those hub motors. Lastly, for Decelerated Fuel Cut-Off/brake and zero throttle conditions, the entire system can be set for recharging.