View Single Post
Old 08-25-2008, 01:19 AM   #21 (permalink)
RH77
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by instarx View Post
I grew up in a trucking family...

I have always thought that a bunch of "truck-trains" would make sense. Trucks with tractors would be driven onto a train, the drivers would retire to the lounge/sleeping car to travel in comfort to a hub near their final destination. The trucks would then be driven off the train and head for the factory docks.
Consequently, I grew up in a Railroad family. I can say that the influential Intermodal depots would instigate a "payload only" initiative. Plus there's safety and emergency concerns. Changing a railroad's operating procedure happens every 25 years or more.

Norfolk Southern had a neat idea with the "Triple Crown" or "Roadrailer" service several years ago (still in operation on a limited basis and with Amtrak). The trailer has the ability to attach railroad trucks between the rear axles or at other attachment points, and be shipped using maritime operations (3 modes):

In the meantime, many point-to-point, LTL, and the vast majority of intermodal services will rely on truckers to do the runs.

RH77

_
_