View Single Post
Old 01-10-2018, 04:01 PM   #184 (permalink)
Phoenix'97
EcoModding Lurker

White Steed - '97 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am WS6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
Yeah I understand you don't want to move the vehicle solely with electricity, I'd just like to throw out there that if the motor you're using is not bolted to the engine's crank, you can, in theory, move your car with it without needing the engine running. Like, let's say for instance you just need to move it up some ramps, you won't need to bother starting your car, you can just drag it up using the motors. Or, let's say you're at a drive-through, you can creep up to the window without the engine running. Saves gas, saves engine wear.
Yeah, I see your point. In order to do this, I would need an inline transmission motor which XLhybrids offers. There is no way to operate my front wheels if I go this route, and it doesn't offer me AWD when I need it for snow.

Well, this next idea would be expensive on top of the hub motor idea, but can I get away with using both?!

Use the inline transmission motor for stop-and-go while using the hub motors for AWD? It would need custom programing since I don't need to use both for these separate conditions...

Scratch that:
I should be able to have the hub motors come on to move the car even with the engine off, transmission in neutral, and the power accessories turned on with my starter. There we go. Christ, the money to blow away like I am a money tree!

Last edited by Phoenix'97; 01-10-2018 at 04:11 PM..