View Single Post
Old 01-19-2018, 11:12 AM   #7 (permalink)
cRiPpLe_rOoStEr
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camel2R View Post
I'm a diesel nut and love the idea of getting awesome mileage while still having "normal" performance from a modern diesel.
You're not the only one

Quote:
My love for diesels started while stationed in Germany many moons ago. How cool is a Mercedes Taxi diesel? And most of the Army vehicles were diesel...I just love the sound of them.
I also had some contact with Diesel-powered military vehicles, because my dad is a retired Brazilian Air Force sergeant and I had lived in military bases until a few months after I turned 12. Since one of the cities where dad got stationed is a popular touristic destination, I also had contact with a lot of foreign tourists who had Diesel-powered versions of some cars that are not available with that option here in Brazil. Unfortunately it seems Diesel is not so popular among them as is used to be until some 15 years ago (lots of Argentinians turning to CNG, while the Paraguayans are not having such an easy access to Diesel-powered versions of the JDM imports, and the Uruguayans turning to Chinese and Indian cars not available with Diesel engines).

Quote:
My current rides:
2016 Mercedes Airstream 3.0 TD auto avg. ~ 22 MPG
2017 Chevy Cruze, 1.6 TD manual avg ~ 52 MPG ...worst was 38
I have only seen Diesel-powered Cruzes from the previous generation with the 2.0L engine, all of them made in South Korea (gassers and a flexfuel version catering to Brazil were locally made instead). It did surprise me the current generation now made in Argentina doesn't feature at least one Diesel version for regional markets where Diesel used to have a greater acceptance (even though I would have actually expected it to feature that Fiat-sourced 1.3 Multijet already fitted to other regional Chevrolet models, and only with a 5-speed manual transmission).