Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2018, 05:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
LEDFoot

Greetings from San Diego

Hi everyone! My name is Steve and I've been lurking here for awhile and thought I'd finally join up since I've been hypermiling in all of my vehicles for a long time now...although, these days it's mostly coasting in neutral down hills. No more turning the ignition off and coasting, then get 2-3 pumps out of the breaks before restarting the car.

I'm a diesel nut and love the idea of getting awesome mileage while still having "normal" performance from a modern diesel. My love for diesels started while stationed in Germany many moons ago. How cool is a Mercedes Taxi diesel? And most of the Army vehicles were diesel...I just love the sound of them.

My current rides:
2016 Mercedes Airstream 3.0 TD auto avg. ~ 22 MPG
2017 Chevy Cruze, 1.6 TD manual avg ~ 52 MPG ...worst was 38

Steve

Last edited by Camel2R; 01-18-2018 at 05:45 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-18-2018, 05:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,586 Times in 1,554 Posts
Welcome to the site Camel2R
Old 01-18-2018, 05:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
LEDFoot

Thanks
Old 01-18-2018, 06:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
Camel2R have you heard any 'scuttlebutt/rumors' floating around that GM is contemplating dropping the Cruze diesel soon?
Old 01-18-2018, 06:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
LEDFoot

Hi OTM,

I have not heard anything about the Cruze diesel being discontinued and I think there is rumor of spreading the engine to other platforms. The current 1.6TD recently received improvements over the outgoing 2.0TD to make it more economical. The same 1.6TD is currently in the Chevy Equinox and it's GMC counter part the Terrain. I think they will soon offer a Cruze RS version with a diesel but I didn't want to wait.

When I bought mine, there were 12 Chevy Cruse diesels with auto and only one manual on the lot.
Old 01-19-2018, 12:28 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Rondo - '07 Kia Rondo EX
Last 3: 20.47 mpg (US)

Tinkertoy2 - '00 Toyota Echo base
Team Toyota
Last 3: 46.03 mpg (US)
Welcome!!

Almost all my driving is done 1-5 miles at a time.
Best short trip: 2.4 l/100 km, 3.9 km
Old 01-19-2018, 11:12 AM   #7 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camel2R View Post
I'm a diesel nut and love the idea of getting awesome mileage while still having "normal" performance from a modern diesel.
You're not the only one

Quote:
My love for diesels started while stationed in Germany many moons ago. How cool is a Mercedes Taxi diesel? And most of the Army vehicles were diesel...I just love the sound of them.
I also had some contact with Diesel-powered military vehicles, because my dad is a retired Brazilian Air Force sergeant and I had lived in military bases until a few months after I turned 12. Since one of the cities where dad got stationed is a popular touristic destination, I also had contact with a lot of foreign tourists who had Diesel-powered versions of some cars that are not available with that option here in Brazil. Unfortunately it seems Diesel is not so popular among them as is used to be until some 15 years ago (lots of Argentinians turning to CNG, while the Paraguayans are not having such an easy access to Diesel-powered versions of the JDM imports, and the Uruguayans turning to Chinese and Indian cars not available with Diesel engines).

Quote:
My current rides:
2016 Mercedes Airstream 3.0 TD auto avg. ~ 22 MPG
2017 Chevy Cruze, 1.6 TD manual avg ~ 52 MPG ...worst was 38
I have only seen Diesel-powered Cruzes from the previous generation with the 2.0L engine, all of them made in South Korea (gassers and a flexfuel version catering to Brazil were locally made instead). It did surprise me the current generation now made in Argentina doesn't feature at least one Diesel version for regional markets where Diesel used to have a greater acceptance (even though I would have actually expected it to feature that Fiat-sourced 1.3 Multijet already fitted to other regional Chevrolet models, and only with a 5-speed manual transmission).
Old 01-19-2018, 04:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
LEDFoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddleglum View Post
Welcome!!
Thanks!
Old 01-19-2018, 05:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
LEDFoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
You're not the only one

I also had some contact with Diesel-powered military vehicles, because my dad is a retired Brazilian Air Force sergeant and I had lived in military bases until a few months after I turned 12. Since one of the cities where dad got stationed is a popular touristic destination, I also had contact with a lot of foreign tourists who had Diesel-powered versions of some cars that are not available with that option here in Brazil. Unfortunately it seems Diesel is not so popular among them as is used to be until some 15 years ago (lots of Argentinians turning to CNG, while the Paraguayans are not having such an easy access to Diesel-powered versions of the JDM imports, and the Uruguayans turning to Chinese and Indian cars not available with Diesel engines).
Very cool to grow up traveling...My wife and I travel back to Germany at least once a year and it blows my mind how many different manufactures use diesel engines, Mini Cooper, Honda Wagons, small pickup trucks , etc. and all the cool stuff we don't get in the US. Although, diesels in Germany have becoming a four letter word ...too bad.

Quote:
I have only seen Diesel-powered Cruzes from the previous generation with the 2.0L engine, all of them made in South Korea (gassers and a flexfuel version catering to Brazil were locally made instead). It did surprise me the current generation now made in Argentina doesn't feature at least one Diesel version for regional markets where Diesel used to have a greater acceptance (even though I would have actually expected it to feature that Fiat-sourced 1.3 Multijet already fitted to other regional Chevrolet models, and only with a 5-speed manual transmission).
Odd, I would think those country's would be more diesel friendly. I wish they would import more small engine diesel powered vehicles to the US.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Are you still around? How is the MPG of your Cruze going?

Reply  Post New Thread