View Single Post
Old 01-24-2018, 05:24 PM   #14 (permalink)
DSMHondaGuy
EcoModding Apprentice

Sipper - '98 Honda Civic HX
90 day: 40.14 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
I was driving back from finally taking the Graduate Record exam and during an uncharacteristically empty stretch of highway after the sun went down, a vehicle stayed behind me in the slow lane, so I changed lanes to let them pass.

That got me a lecture from the highway patrol.

They cited me for not having a current proof of insurance. I need to set a reminder. I had not realized it was out-of-date. I handed him my last card and he said he could not use it.

Another officer here in Arizona told me he could use my old card. Yet another time, while I was looking for my card, the officer asked who my provider was, and then said he believed me.

Was he allowed to believe me?! Wasn't that against regulation?!

Arguably, I am doing something wrong, being stopped three times in four months on the same stretch of the I-40, but this officer said that as long as I can show I am currently insured, they should dismiss the charges.

This page says they will, which is good, because it is a $950 fine: http://courts.yavapai.us/Portals/5/F...e-Schedule.pdf

Keep your insurance documents updated, people!
Officers may use their own discretion on minor offenses. Also over taking on the right is a BAD thing to do, you're not supposed to do it. But in America, it's not a traffic violation. Almost all of Europe doing so will get you a huge ticket if you're caught.