View Single Post
Old 01-25-2018, 09:21 PM   #235 (permalink)
Phoenix'97
EcoModding Lurker

White Steed - '97 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am WS6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
Yes, A/F ratios are limited in factory cars due to the requirement for OEMs to meet emission standards. Much of engine tuning discussed here on ecomodder is illegal.

Smog is still a thing. Visit any city over 1 million people and you will find smog.
This is why I am exploring my options and seeing what I can and can not do. Fortunately I don't live in California but New York has recently adopted the stringent emissions standards of California. So, trying to do my part to help make my car more "emissions friendly", I am exploring the tried-and-true methods to improve low RPM/mid-range RPM torque production from an improved factory/mild cammed 5.7L engine. Front wheel electric hub motors can also assist in the low RPM torque production. Yes, I am aware of the legality behind long tube headers, even if I have them built with emissions hook-ups and making use of California catalytic converters! I need to ask around and see what I can do!

EVEN TO USE ISO-BUTANOL IN MY CAR MAY BE ILLEGAL! Someone mentioned that if I am not paying some tax on this fuel for my car that I can get in trouble with the IRS. Well, if Big Brother is reading this, you better find a way to tax the fuel now, huh? Do they even tax Ethanol when the damn stuff is heavily subsidized? They tax non-ethanol gasoline which is what I use!