View Single Post
Old 08-25-2008, 04:11 PM   #182 (permalink)
whitevette
EcoModding Apprentice

50 psig is stiff ( but OK)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickpuppy318 View Post
The local tire guy said he found, get ready, a nail in it. A new tire should be there tomorrow. And so far fix-a-flat is holding 40psi cold. I figured it would leak out.

As far as hyperinflating is concerned, after all the abuse this cheap tire has seen, and considering the abilities of the fix-a-flat, i'll no longer worry about putting 50psi in a new tire.

Thanks for all the great advice.
50 psig ( pounds per square inch gauge) is OK...but you may find the ride with "soft" OEM shocks / springs is a bit stiff ( harsh). The tighter tires are no longer a "match" to your velvetty-soft OEM suspension. Then, there is the condition called heat expansion ... put cold (AM) air in your tires ... 50 psig... and drive to work (say). The sun gets high and heats your tires; you come out in the early PM to a hot car ( and tires...especially the sunny side of the car, more than the shade side). If you'll check your tires again ...with the same gauge, I hope... you will discover the tire pressures have all jumped 'way up! 50 has become 55 or 56 or 57 or more ... depending on the size (volume) of the tire. And the sunny side is higher than the shade side!
Hmmm.... What to do? Bleed some out? Then, this does what for the next cool AM? Less-than-50 psig... and the sunny side is now cool. The shade side is less temp. drop...but it's still a drop.
Or leave them alone ( and cross your fingers)? You know what will happen to the 56 psig when the tires get hot ( driving at speed for several minutes ). 56 will become higher. "Cold" is ambient ... not AM or PM. AM cold is not PM cold! Smaller tires get higher than larger tires when they're heated.
Ahh...decisions, decisions. I discovered all this when I had a tiny Honda Coupe with 10 inch tires... I just happened to set them all prior to going to work...and rechecked them (for some reason) when I returned to the car after work. Surprise !!! I let them down...and checked them all the next morning. Wow! Too low! All of 'em. So I pumped 'em up ( all 4). This went on for days ... I got so tired of tire pressure. So , I did something... and it worked. Let me know if you're interested, and I'll tell you what I did.