Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2008, 07:23 PM   #181 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

the mazda - '01 MAZDA Protege LX
90 day: 34.68 mpg (US)
The local tire guy said he found, get ready, a nail in it. A new tire should be there tomorrow. And so far fix-a-flat is holding 40psi cold. I figured it would leak out.

As far as hyperinflating is concerned, after all the abuse this cheap tire has seen, and considering the abilities of the fix-a-flat, i'll no longer worry about putting 50psi in a new tire.

Thanks for all the great advice.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-25-2008, 04:11 PM   #182 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

50 psig is stiff ( but OK)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickpuppy318 View Post
The local tire guy said he found, get ready, a nail in it. A new tire should be there tomorrow. And so far fix-a-flat is holding 40psi cold. I figured it would leak out.

As far as hyperinflating is concerned, after all the abuse this cheap tire has seen, and considering the abilities of the fix-a-flat, i'll no longer worry about putting 50psi in a new tire.

Thanks for all the great advice.
50 psig ( pounds per square inch gauge) is OK...but you may find the ride with "soft" OEM shocks / springs is a bit stiff ( harsh). The tighter tires are no longer a "match" to your velvetty-soft OEM suspension. Then, there is the condition called heat expansion ... put cold (AM) air in your tires ... 50 psig... and drive to work (say). The sun gets high and heats your tires; you come out in the early PM to a hot car ( and tires...especially the sunny side of the car, more than the shade side). If you'll check your tires again ...with the same gauge, I hope... you will discover the tire pressures have all jumped 'way up! 50 has become 55 or 56 or 57 or more ... depending on the size (volume) of the tire. And the sunny side is higher than the shade side!
Hmmm.... What to do? Bleed some out? Then, this does what for the next cool AM? Less-than-50 psig... and the sunny side is now cool. The shade side is less temp. drop...but it's still a drop.
Or leave them alone ( and cross your fingers)? You know what will happen to the 56 psig when the tires get hot ( driving at speed for several minutes ). 56 will become higher. "Cold" is ambient ... not AM or PM. AM cold is not PM cold! Smaller tires get higher than larger tires when they're heated.
Ahh...decisions, decisions. I discovered all this when I had a tiny Honda Coupe with 10 inch tires... I just happened to set them all prior to going to work...and rechecked them (for some reason) when I returned to the car after work. Surprise !!! I let them down...and checked them all the next morning. Wow! Too low! All of 'em. So I pumped 'em up ( all 4). This went on for days ... I got so tired of tire pressure. So , I did something... and it worked. Let me know if you're interested, and I'll tell you what I did.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:32 PM   #183 (permalink)
Hi-Tech Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Johnny Mullet Send a message via MSN to Johnny Mullet
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitevette View Post
So , I did something... and it worked. Let me know if you're interested, and I'll tell you what I did.
Filled them with expanding foam?

Seriously, the suspense is killing me here

GeoMetroforum.com - got mpg?
Old 08-26-2008, 10:44 AM   #184 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Expanding foam? No, but the idea did occur to me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
Filled them with expanding foam?

Seriously, the suspense is killing me here
Hi,JM !
An expanding foam - open cell - might work to give one a constant tire
profile/"footprint" ... at least this was my thinking, too. The problem with this approach was ... how does one remove the air "bubble" which is captive inside the deflated tire? This is gonna upset any applecart when one puts additional foam into the "empty" tire; ie, a tire is never "empty".
Bearing in mind, this idea was years & years ago; I had to come up with some sort of "solution" to this rising & falling psig situation - or I could never relax & just drive. Now I can....
What did I do? I came to the point the little Honda 2-banger (air cooled) needed new shoes. Not wanting this "worry-driving" to go on with my new Michelins ( OEM tires were early Khumo, or somesuch...RIP...yuk!) I figured "If the bead-seating pressure was lower or equal to 60 psi" like the caution sticker on the new tires cautioned ( these have disappeared from the tire replacement scene) "why not jack the pressure on this little car?" So I
pumped each tire up to 40 psig - OEM was 32, I think - took a vernier calipers and measured the (new) tread depth at several points on each tire...as any good R&D investigation would... and put these numbers in a logbook.
The ride was noticeably stiff in this little, lightweight car...but I put up with it. After many thousands & thousands of miles ( NO checking tire pressure daily), the tread depth was little changed. Some cupping from a balance problem, but no excess wear. The Michelins were still good when I finally sold the beast! Sidewall dry-rot was beginning to show up...tread still good. How many thousands? I don't recall the number ( the logbook went with the car) but I know the Michelins wupped the Khumo's butt!
So I came up with this idea of jacking the tire pressure early on. Now I'm running 44 psig in my BFGs. I'm a work-in-progress, right? LOL
Old 08-26-2008, 11:26 AM   #185 (permalink)
EcoModding Newbie

Parachute - '03 Chevrolet Tracker LX
90 day: 28.55 mpg (US)

Peon - '95 Plymouth Neon Highline baby!
90 day: 31.39 mpg (US)

Slocus Wagon - '06 Ford Focus SE
Quote:
Ahh...decisions, decisions. I discovered all this when I had a tiny Honda Coupe with 10 inch tires... I just happened to set them all prior to going to work...and rechecked them (for some reason) when I returned to the car after work. Surprise !!! I let them down...and checked them all the next morning. Wow! Too low! All of 'em. So I pumped 'em up ( all 4). This went on for days ... I got so tired of tire pressure. So , I did something... and it worked. Let me know if you're interested, and I'll tell you what I did.
I hope you are pulling our legs.... Changing the pressure everyday...

What worked for me is not worrying about my tire pressure anymore. 42 psi "cold" is about as hard as I want for my crappy roads. Some hot days it might go to 45psi! And I get home just like every other day. People should worry more about running their tires at to low a pressure, 15 psi under probably has killed many more people than 15 psi over.
Ian

Old 08-28-2008, 11:49 AM   #186 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Checking TP every day? Nope! Twice a day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyIan View Post
I hope you are pulling our legs.... Changing the pressure everyday...

What worked for me is not worrying about my tire pressure anymore. 42 psi "cold" is about as hard as I want for my crappy roads. Some hot days it might go to 45psi! And I get home just like every other day. People should worry more about running their tires at to low a pressure, 15 psi under probably has killed many more people than 15 psi over.
Ian
You are absolutely correct by stating more people killed by TP neglect than over-pressure "blow-outs" ( when was the last time you heard of this?).

"Pulling our legs?" If you want to answer the unusual questions in life...you're gonna have to do unusual things. No, I am not pulling legs, here. I am an engineer...I don't pull legs.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:14 PM   #187 (permalink)
EcoModding Newbie

Parachute - '03 Chevrolet Tracker LX
90 day: 28.55 mpg (US)

Peon - '95 Plymouth Neon Highline baby!
90 day: 31.39 mpg (US)

Slocus Wagon - '06 Ford Focus SE
Quote:
You are absolutely correct by stating more people killed by TP neglect than over-pressure "blow-outs" ( when was the last time you heard of this?).

"Pulling our legs?" If you want to answer the unusual questions in life...you're gonna have to do unusual things. No, I am not pulling legs, here. I am an engineer...I don't pull legs.
Maybe its a canadian term, pulling your leg, means I'm trying to fool you.
It sounded like you were playing a joke on us, saying that you changed your tire pressure everyday! Ha ha. Or maybe to an engineer that kind of sillyness makes perfect sense!
Ian

Old 08-28-2008, 08:01 PM   #188 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyIan View Post
Maybe its a canadian term, pulling your leg, means I'm trying to fool you.
It sounded like you were playing a joke on us, saying that you changed your tire pressure everyday! Ha ha. Or maybe to an engineer that kind of sillyness makes perfect sense!
Ian
I give up....
Old 08-29-2008, 12:25 AM   #189 (permalink)
Sequential

The Truck - '00 Chevy S10 Extended Cab
90 day: 22.47 mpg (US)
been listening in on the conversation for a bit
I have question/concept on the Hyper-inflation issue:

what about changing the spec of the tire in stalled?
like putting a LT (light truck) tries on instead of P (passenger) tires

Then the rated pressures go up - so you could have 65 psi & be within spec

one would probably have a hard time finding LT metro tires
but for larger tire sizes would this be an alternative???
Old 08-29-2008, 12:50 AM   #190 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
You might be on to something. At first, I thought "Rolling Resistance issues", but I recall some LT tires actually are pretty slick in that department.

I think I remember a mail vehicle with the tire pressure printed on the vehicle -- maybe the old right-hand drive Jeeps or the new Grummans? (I think we have an expert in that department here...)

The fenders had "50 PSI" printed on the fenders above each wheel. I thought that was way high at the time.

RH77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concrete View Post
been listening in on the conversation for a bit
I have question/concept on the Hyper-inflation issue:

what about changing the spec of the tire in stalled?
like putting a LT (light truck) tries on instead of P (passenger) tires

Then the rated pressures go up - so you could have 65 psi & be within spec

one would probably have a hard time finding LT metro tires
but for larger tire sizes would this be an alternative???

_
_
Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
hyperinflation, inflation, tires