View Single Post
Old 11-26-2007, 11:51 AM   #220 (permalink)
MetroMPG
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,603 Posts
01-07-2007, 09:24 Pm

weekend update ...

1) Fixed (epoxied) the speedo cable boss I fubared earlier. Installed the replacement cable from the red car (getting the cluster out was a bit of a pain). Then tested it: made the wheels go 25 km/h

2) Put oil back in the tranny ("previously enjoyed" 5-20 synth from the Blackfly ) ... then noticed it was seeping around one of the axle seals. Crud. Last thing I want is an EV that leaves oily spots on the driveway. That's just too ironic for my tastes.

3) Dug up Jerry's nice clear circuit schematics over at http://evconvert.com. They're so easy to read for an electrical newb like myself. Got together with Ivan and we drew up the Forkenswift's schematic, v 1.0. I'll post it sometime.

4) Tranny & adapter plate are now properly fastened with good size nuts & bolts (no more wing nuts).

5) A friend donated about 20 feet of used 2/0 welding cable - it'll be great for making battery connections.

6) This week: want to pick up a battery load tester, and start looking for 6 or 8 surplus/used batteries. Starting with the forklift co that sold us the Baker.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget