View Single Post
Old 01-29-2018, 02:10 PM   #790 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumby79 View Post
The only way for a roof rack to beat a trailer, would be to remove all traces of the rack when not loaded for 0 penalty when not in use,same as removing the trailer when not in use. What is the CdA penalty for a rack and kayak mount system? Probably much higher than the trailer witch only effects the Cd and not the A.
I’ve had two cars with factory roof racks. The first was a 1991 Chevy Cavalier Wagon. It had a factory rack that included flat crossbars. Removing the crossbar was good for about 1-2 miles per gallon (going by memory here). I saw no improvement from removing the bars that run parallel to the vehicle.

The second vehicle was a 2003 Jetta Wagon TDI. It came with factory rails but no crossbar. Mounting a Yakama rack with 8 foot round crossbars and two bike mounts (no bikes) dropped highway fuel economy by 11% (I have data on this one) and was REALLY loud. After a month I started taking the rack on and off as needed. That rack was incredible useful. I carried lumber, 4x8 sheets of plywood / drywall / insulation, etc on that thing. It was funny to pull up to the loading area at Home Depot. The loaders always look shocked at what could fit into that car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumby79 View Post
What kind of value$ do you place on your time ?
The Yakama rack took less than 5 minutes to mount / dismount. I left it in one piece and it leaned against the wall in my garage when not in use. Set it on top, tighten 4 allen bolts, done. Removal is the reverse of assembly. Hitching up a trailer is likely slightly faster but not if you have to find a way to store the trailer vertically to save space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByDesign View Post
The rack is much easier to maneuver in traffic, parking, etc., but it has a cost as some of you have already said. The other hiccup is loading and unloading. It's harder to access on top of a vehicle. Also, hauling anything of size -- appliances or furniture -- become exceptionally difficult with a roof rack.
I never had a problem with my VW. The roof was chest high so loading wasn’t a problem. However, I never tried to put large or bulky stuff on top. Most furniture could fit inside the wagon. Refrigerator sized stuff? That is what free delivery is for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByDesign View Post
On the other side, a roof rack stores in a much smaller place than a trailer. It really depends on your need, how much (and where) you'll use it.
Very true, especially for people that live in a city. Finding a place to put a trailer is tough when the your entire lot size is 5000 to 6000 sq ft and there is no vehicle access to the backyard.

I recently purchased a 12 foot boat and it takes up ¼ of the driveway. That means my wife and I have to shuffle cars if we want to drive the Spark EV or leave her Prius on the street. I plan to add a plywood deck to the boat trailer and it will be nice to have the trailer for bulky or dirty stuff though. The boat is light so I can easily take it off the trailer and leave it on saw horses.