View Single Post
Old 02-03-2018, 12:47 PM   #1026 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
U-joint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel And The Wolf View Post
I'm not sure what you are trying to tell me. I'll be using an old Pickup truck driveshaft and splined transmission piece as a pivot. both pieces fixed, not rotatable. the vertical axis of the U-Joint allows movement for corners, the horizontal axis of the U-Joint allows movement for speed bumps and intersection dips.

Yes, the trailer is essentially a rectangular pyramid, truncated at it's small end, and the prius rear is a curve sided rectangle. The transition will be achieved basically by the fixed gap filler piece, which is solidly mounted to the bar inserted in the receiver at the front end, and holding the yoke of the U-Joint spider at it's rear.
Either,from a member,or somewhere on the WEB,I saw a depiction of a U-Joint attachment for a motorcycle-towed trailer setup.I thought it was a very elegant engineering solution.
I would encourage you to set the double-rear wheels as close together as possible,as on uneven road surfaces it's possible for one wheel to experience an asymmetrical impact,imparting a torsional moment on the u-joint,something which would not occur with a single wheel.
BamZipPow (02-04-2018)