View Single Post
Old 02-03-2018, 06:59 PM   #1028 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,585 Times in 7,069 Posts
Quote:
One leaf spring pack between the two wheels which are on a shortened axle, with just enough space between the tires to clear the spring.
I understand. The length/width ratio of the leaf spring will determine it's resistance to roll, since it's coupled rigidly to the tow vehicle.

Is the lip on the body detachable? I suspect it's stamped into the sheet metal. If so, you could continue the upstream contour and put vortex generators to 'help' the flow over the spoiler. Or whatever discontinuity. Vortex generators don't help overall flow, but can be used locally.

Plywood in car bodies is a Bad Idea. Unless you are vacuum-bagging veneers in a concrete female form. aerohead knows about this. And BamZipPow has gradually replaced all the wood he used in Dark Aero.

I suggest Polymetal or equivalent. Here are some tests I did with samples — sheared, rolled and braked by hand (18" lever arm). Four pieces joined two different ways. The brakes needed pre-scoring because they ruptured.

It is stiff as 5/8" plywood and cost maybe 50% more. But it's pre-finished. Unlike plywood or fiberglass. That's important.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
BamZipPow (02-04-2018), slowmover (02-03-2018)