View Single Post
Old 02-06-2018, 11:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
Ecky
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,553 Posts
Dream with me - your perfect car

I was thinking today about what would be the perfect car for me. Currently thinking along these lines:

I'd probably want a small 2 seater hybrid soft top, a la S600. Make it out of aluminum so I don't have to worry about salt. Give it a fuel-sipping de-tuned 3 cylinder you can drive across the country with (but not so small you start to lose efficiency), and a monstrous electric "assist" with 2-300 lb-ft of torque. ~15-25 miles of plug-in electric range would be icing on the cake, if it doesn't add too much weight. Front or rear wheel drive, I don't mind, so long as its power reaches the ground.

I would consider a very minimal electric power steering and compact heat pump, but these aren't necessary. Ensure there's adequate frame strength for a hitch to pull a small cargo trailer or tear-drop camper for the handful of times per year I need to carry more than a passenger, groceries or a carry-on bag.

In the cabin, minimal electronics. I don't need navigation or satellite-streamed commercials on a 17" screen in the center console, and I'll turn on my own headlights and windshield wipers, thank you. I'd probably want just instrumentation - speedo, RPM, temp (that isn't a dummy gauge), battery level, assist/regen, lights and signals. A radio with a knob would be nice.

I would probably own this car for the rest of my life, or until gasoline isn't available anymore.

What's your fantasy vehicle?

Last edited by Ecky; 02-06-2018 at 11:25 AM..