View Single Post
Old 02-06-2018, 07:37 PM   #27 (permalink)
sser2
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
I actually don't really care for electric water pumps on although delete vehicles.
It's more power you don't have to spend.
Yes, belt-driven stock water pump cannot be bettered in its simplicity and reliability. Electric pump is just another critical gadget requiring attention, prone to breakdown, and reducing overall reliability of an automobile.

Also true - more power you have to spend. But there is power and power. The sole purpose of going into trouble with electric pump is to reduce consumption of gasoline-derived power by increasing consumption of gasoline-independent electric power. Isn't it gasoline that we are trying to save here?

Drag of water pump on the engine is much less than that of alternator. But deleting alternator alone without deleting water pump poses technical difficulty because alternator also serves as serpentine belt tensioner. Without alernator, one has to come up with a custom tensioner. I was thinking of a stretch-fit belt that works without tensioner, but that would require machining a custom water pump pulley. So, I decided that electric water pump would be an easier solution, at least in my situation.