View Single Post
Old 02-08-2018, 01:58 PM   #189 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,586 Times in 7,070 Posts
It was a long time ago, but I started out $1K ahead (earned picking strawberries and working in a feed mill, got a total of $300 assistance (because I had graduated in the 99 1/2 percentile of all high-school seniors that year — thanks, I guess), graduated in five years $1K in debt and had that paid off before I reported for duty.

The only thing I got from the degree was an assignment that allowed me to return alive from the one-time Republic of South Vietnam. It was mooted by my being a Veteran.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5
The main problem is that people lack focus. If there is no particular goal in mind that requires a college education, then it's not likely to be a net benefit.
I started out in Mechanical Engineering, transferred to Architecture, and wound up with a B.S. in Humanities & Soc. Science. Worthless, but I got a job in IT in 1980, no degrees in that back then.

I wanted to study video editing on the GI Bill but the community college only offered TV repair so I tried that for a while.

Quote:
Sure, some people can get a decent job without college &c.
My son went from high school to six years in the Navy as a radar technician. Then into aircraft instrumentation in the Seattle area. He's moved from one job to another with IIRC not a single day of unemployment.